Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Turkey Reuben Sandwich - Sort of...

I'd love to say this is a photo of MY Turkey Reuben Sandwich, but it's not. Let's start with a couple of facts. First, I love reuben sandwiches. One of my first posts was about making corned beef and a corned beef reuben. A second fact, which you may not think is relavent, but it is, is that all my friends are drama queens. Honest, if the least little thing happens - clogged drain, dead car battery, etc., they're on the phone to me screaming and carrying on. I'm the oldest of the bunch, and sometimes I think I've been through that crisis and it's no big deal. Sometimes I think having three boys makes you a tougher chick. I don't know. So, last night I'm making up a batch of these wonderful Turkey Reubens and just about ready to get out the camera, when the phone rings. Let's just say the rest is history. The cavemen of my family scooped up the reubens - even mine! - and ran off to eat. My friend had another life crisis that wasn't, and the photo was never taken. (Insert heavy sigh). So for me, no photo and no Turkey Reuben. But all was not lost - I made a batch of Heath Bar Oatmeal Toffee Cookies. And this photo IS mine!!

They may not look like much - the first time I made them I thought I did something wrong - but they are a delicious cookie!! If you like Heath Bars or Skor Bars, these are the cookies for you!! An added bonus - they have oatmeal in them, so in my book that makes them an excellent breakfast cookie too! :)

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter

2 eggs

2 cups packed light brown sugar

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups quick cooking oats

1 1/3 (8-oz pkg) Heath Bits 'O Brickle Toffee Bits

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; beat until blended. Stir in oats and toffee bits with a spoon.

Drop by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove to wire rack. Cool completely (yea, right!). Makes about 4 dozen cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment