Saturday, June 13, 2009

Blueberry Pie

My neighbor is trying to grow blueberries in his backyard - and I don't think it's going very well. I'm not sure what he's doing wrong, but in the last four summers, we haven't seen any blueberries at all. I could tell yesterday he seemed pretty defeated, so I did the only thing I knew to do - I baked him a blueberry pie! He laughed when I brought it over to his house last night - and he came back telling me that was a pretty darn good blueberry pie. I'm glad I could cheer him up a little!!
Blueberry Pie
3-4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (without syrup)
One 9 inch deep-dish pie plate
5 T corn starch
2/3 cups sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
3 T water
1 T lemon juice
1 graham cracker pie crust
Topping:
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1/4 cup butter
Make graham cracker pie crust as per back of graham cracker crumbs box. Refrigerate one hour. Rinse blueberries and drain. Go through and pick out any mushy ones.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl combine 2/3 cups sugar and 5 T cornstarch and mix well. Add 1/2 t cinnamon. Add water and lemon juice.
Add blueberries to the piecrust. Pour the sugar/juice mixture over the blueberries.
In a seperate bowl, make the crumb topping. Mix together the sugar and flour, cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two forks. Sprinkle over the pie.
Place the pie on a large cookie sheet and bake for 50-55 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting.
I belong to an "egg" CSA. Kind of weird, I know. I use to belong to the traditional CSA, but it just wasn't that much fun. I never knew from week to week what I was getting, and half the time I didn't know what I got when I got home!! It made menu planning really tough. So this farmer has a traditional CSA, but he also has free-range chickens. Each week I get two dozen free range eggs, and every-other-week I get a whole chicken. This week was just eggs - and I think they're beautiful!! They look like something out of a Pottery Barn catalog. The farmer says that different kinds of chickens lay different color eggs. Each week I always have one green one, with the others varying in shades of brown. Here's a photo of this week's eggs:
Hope everyone has a great weekend!! I'm cleaning and decluttering, and looking forward to making Paula Deen's Strawberry Shortcake!!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet thing to do! Makes me want to bake something for MY neighbor. I nominated you for a blog award on my Paula blog. www.mygirlpaula.blogspot.com ;)

    ReplyDelete