Saturday, June 6, 2009

BLT Pizza and a new twist on the brown paper lunch bag

Last night was pizza night, and as tradition would have it, we made one pepperoni pizza and one specialty pizza. I LOVE a good BLT pizza. If you've never had one, you are doing yourself a disservice. You need to get right out there and make one of these up tonight - the are delicious! I found the original recipe on AllRecipes.com, but mine's a little modified.
BLT Pizza
Slightly changed from the original on AllRecipes.com
6 slices thick cut bacon, chopped up (not diced)
1 recipe for your favorite pizza dough
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 Roma tomatos, chopped
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce *
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon mayonnaise (or to taste)
1 teaspoon Penzy's 4/S seasoned salt (or Lawry's or salt and pepper to taste)
*My grocery sells shredded iceberg in a bag, which is convienent. It is finely shredded, so I reduced my mayonnaise to this amount. If your lettuce is not finely shredded, I would suggest 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees, or according to the directions for your pizza dough (we preheat our oven to 450 degrees, and we have a pizza stone).
Place bacon in a heavy skillet over medicum-high heat, and fry until browned, but not crisp. Drain on paper .
Stretch out pizza dough onto your pan. Brush the dough with olive oil. Spread the shredded mozzarella over the crust and arrange about 3/4 the chopped tomato over the cheese. Sprinkle chopped fried bacon over the pizza.
Bake pizza for 10 - 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the crust is golden and cheese is melted in the center. While the pizza is in the oven, toss the shredded lettuce with mayonnaise, and add seasoned salt (or salt and pepper). Top the finished pizza with the dressed lettuce and remaining 1/4 chopped tomatos and serve immediately.
Now today I've been working on preparing our meal for my Father-in laws birthday/Father's Day tomorrow. I'm marinating the London Broil, making Aunt Gert's macaroni salad (Thanks Laura at RealMomKitchen!!), and next I'll be rolling out my pie dough to start my cherry pie and custard pie (I'm tired just just typing all that!!). But in by spare time (LOL!!), I whipped up this cute twist to the traditional "brown bag" luch sack. I made one for my son this spring, and now the kids at his school are saving their Capri drink bags so I can make them one. This takes 14 drink bags, and really isn't hard to make (if you have some basic sewing skills). I wish some of my stitches were neater, but sewing a juice bag is a little different than sewing fabric!! ;) If you want the full tutorial, then click here. Hope you like it!!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm that pizza looks great! We haven't had homemade pizza in a long time. I may add that on my menu for next payday :) That bag is cute! I remember seeing those at some of the craft fairs here in town. I thought it was a neat idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I've never had a BLT pizza? Apparently I'm missing out, because it looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete