Saturday, May 23, 2009

Greek Pizza

Friday nights are "pizza nights" in our home. It's been that way for over 20 years (yes, I've been married that long!!). But it use to be a "take out" pizza from a local shop. Well, about a year ago I began experimenting with making my own pizza. At first it wasn't anything fancy - I even bought the dough mix in a bag. But hey, you've got to start somewhere!! Well, I mustered up the courage one week to make my own dough, then a few weeks later I gave homemade sauce a try. Now you just can't stop me! Each week we make two pizzas - one is a traditional pepperoni and cheese for the kids, and the second is a specialty pizza for my husband and me. This week I made the Greek Pizza from For the Love of Cooking's site. It was wonderful - or as my three-year-old would say "awesome mom!" As you can see from the photo, it didn't last very long (so much for one pizza being the adults!!)
GREEK PIZZA
Pizza dough
Corn meal (to sprinkle on the baking tray)
Pizza sauce
Mozzarella cheese
Feta cheese
Frozen artichoke hearts, thawed*
Kalamata olives, slice in half lenghtwise
Red onion, sliced thin
Roma tomato, sliced thin
Dried oregano
*My grocery doesn't carry frozen artichoke hearts. You can use a jar of regular artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed. I had some marinated artichoke hearts I used which I drained and patted dry. They added a nice flavor.
If using frozen artichoke hearts, thaw and blot dry to remove excess liquid. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large pizza tray with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with corn meal. Roll out dough and fit onto try. Evenly spread sauce, mozzarella, artichoke hearts, tomato slices, red onions, kalamata olives, feta cheese and oregano on top.
Place in the oven and bake for 10-14 minutes or until desired crispiness. Remove from oven and slice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment