Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Buttermilk Ice Cream - Celebrating National Ice Cream Month

I don't think I'd be shocking any of you when I tell you that July in National Ice Cream Month. Who would have thought it - 90 degree temperatures and they'd pick this month? LOL! In 1984 President Regan declared July National Ice Cream Month, and the third Sunday in July National Ice Cream Day. With all President Regan had to worry about in 1984 (the economy, Soviet missiles, tearing down the Berlin Wall), it's amazing the man had time for this!! That was one President with his priorities straight!! :)
Well, in celebration I've decided to make ice cream periodically during the month. Not too long ago I got an attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer that allows me to make ice cream. It's a simple little gizmo with an insulated bowl I put in the freezer overnight. I was initially concerned the ice cream would be soft, but after a couple of tries I was surprised at the consistency - every bit of what I'd expect at the fancy ice cream shops!! I'd like to say at half the price, but ice cream really isn't that cheap to make. Cream, and all the good stuff you want to add to it, help to keep the price up there. But the positives of homemade ice cream - the fun of making it and the incredible taste you can't get anywhere else - make it worth every penny! Here's a recipe for Buttermilk Ice Cream I picked up over at SmittenKitchen. It's similar to a French vanilla, but with a "tang" at the end due to the buttermilk. It's a keeper in our home!!
Buttermilk Ice Cream
(recipe from SmittenKitchen - thank you!!)
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/4 c sugar
12 large egg yolks
2 c buttermilk
2 t vanilla
pinch of salt
In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the heavy cream and one cup of sugar and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.
Remove the cream mixture from the heat and drizzle a small amount into the yolks, slowly, and whisking constantly to keep the eggs from curdling. Do this a few more times to warm up the yolks before pouring the yolk mixture back into the cream, whisking constantly.
Cook over low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain the mixture and whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla, and salt. Cool completely and freeze according to ice cream maker's directions. **I cooled mine overnight in the refrigerator. You want it good and cold going into the ice cream maker.
**Tomorrow's Post: What to do with 12 egg whites???**

No comments:

Post a Comment